Monday, July 5, 2010

1939 Joe DiMaggio Play Ball



Joe Di's fourth season with 100 (or more!) RBIs, he was
named the American League's MVP for the first time.
1939 Play Balls are, unfortunately, sometimes noted for
poor centering and random print marks. These cards are
about 2 1/2 by 3 1/8 inches, and there are 161 cards to
a set. This Joe DiMaggio card is currently found in
our ebay store.

Years ago (this is trisha talking), we were at a card
show, and a friend had asked I wait in line for a Joe
Di autograph. He wanted the auto in a particular spot,
and I asked the handler (for lack of a better word) if
that was okay. "Sure, sure, no problem."

But when he passed the photo through, Joe just signed
it, I don't know, somewhere NOT where I'd just asked.
Since it wasn't even my photo, and even back then,
Mr. Di's autos were NOT cheap, I was kind of startled.
Freaked out. Hey, I was only maybe 23 at the time.

I asked Mr. Di if he'd sign in another spot--he said,
"No problem." And did so, right where I asked.

This was right after the guy in front of me asked him
to sign a pic of Mr. Di and Marilyn Monroe. Joe looked
at the photo, said "This is a nice picture, I've never
seen this one before." The autograph seeker told him
where he'd found it.

"It's a nice picture. But I'm not signing this."

And he handed it back.

That's my Joe DiMaggio story.

The End.